Friday, July 11, 2014

Mosing around Lake Manyara

If only men could read maps and women didn't gossip ... whose fault was it that we missed the turn up to Mtu wa Mbu (river of mosquitoes)? Not mine! 

I set off from Arusha without even thinking to look at a map so therefore I did not get us lost - I never knew where we were going in the first place ... and plus I had to catch up on Jinja gossip with Mary!! (And Marty should have started map reading earlier!) SERIOUSLY!

So we reached the park gate at 7pm. On dark. Drive to camp was therefore a night drive with good sightings of genet (below), bush babies (galore), buffalo and hyena (in camp!)



This one in not atcually our photo - its to show you what a bush baby or galago is ...

We arrived at `Lakeshore Camp`in the dark and cooked up a storm of a curry to the sounds of hyena then crashed, muscles still aching from the Meru climb. If only we had a video of Candace and I trying to come down steps ...
Morning brought the camp alive with activities (and washing drying) ...







And then we set off for a game drive ...


And this view was just before us .. walking distance to the lake with all it`s birds and plains game ...





We got Mary and Marty to chase the flamingos ...



And when that got boring we ate cheese while watching hippos ...



Or vervet monkeys ...


The hippo reclined in hot springs at the caustic soda lake`s edge ...



We watched elephants and ground hornbills .. and the elephants watched us.


The scenery was incredible ... imagine how many leopards live up there in those treed cliffs!




And we got to see the tree climbing lions ...






No comments:

Post a Comment